|Simon e-mailed me a picture of the company|
logo. The only trouble was that the image was
only 13" x 2" so replicating this would be a bit
harder than I first thought as it was a difficult to
see the font clearly.
|The first thing to do is plan what size lettering,|
positioning and spacing would be best and then
I can work out what size board I would need.
I decided on 3" for the capital letters and 2 1/4"
for the lower case.
|I also purchased some of this 'D' trim which is|
16mm wide and 4mm high to put around the
edge of the sign. This trim will finish off the
edge of the sign giving it a professional look.
|To ensure a nice neat finish the trim had to be|
mitre cut into the corners.
|A good mitre requires minimal finishing and |
my mitre's are getting better, although it will
still need to be filled prior to painting.
|As I made each mitre cut I put the trim in it's|
final position until I was happy with
all the mitre's on all the corners.
|The next step is to glue the trim in position. I|
use Evo Stick Wood Adhesive which is really
strong and will hold the trim in position.
|Handy clamps make life so much easier while|
the glue sets, which doesn't take long.
|Once the glue has dried, the next step was to|
get out the filler and just fill any gaps between
the trim and the board and in between the corner
|Once the filler has dried and it had been rubbed|
down, it's time to get out the wood primer and
give both sides of the board 2 good coats.
|The 2nd coat of primer has been applied. Once|
dry it will need a good rub down before applying
the first coat of undercoat.
|Again 2 coats of undercoat will be needed with|
a good rub down in between coats to ensure a
strong and smooth finish.
|2nd coat of undercoat finished and you can see|
how smooth the surface looks.
|OK, now it's time to start laying out the custom|
font onto the board. I know how big each letter
is and where each letter begins and ends from
my planning notes.
|Laying out the design is the time consuming|
part, this just has to be right otherwise the whole
lettering will look totally wrong and I will have to
|The logo only has 5 words but as it's a custom|
font I am replicating, it's taking longer than I
thought it would. As I said this bit must be
right, so taking extra time now should pay
dividends in the long run.
|Finally the ".co.uk" get drawn onto the board.|
Drawing the logo has taken more time than
expected but I'm happy with the overall look
of the pencil lettering outline.
|Time to start laying on the bright red enamel|
paint. I tend to use enamel as the colours stay
vibrant for longer than most other paint types.
|What a difference just one painted letter makes.|
This is the part I find most relaxing, applying the
paint to the sign. I tend to drift off with my
thoughts whilst sign writing.
|First word done, and it looks a pretty good|
replica of the original font Simon sent me.
|The wording is getting there. I wouldn't normally|
take a picture half way through but I needed
a cup of tea, so while I waited for the kettle to
boil, out came the camera.
|So once I had re-designed the wording, and|
the spacing I had some more board cut and
started the whole process again. Here I have
cut the beading and have just glued all the
pieces to the new board.
|Right, the ".co.uk" is in the right place, under|
the word Retro on the board. Having made
such a silly mistake I was double checking
everything, the spacing, the letter size and I
lost count the amount of times I re-checked
|After I was happy with the layout, and I had |
checked the spacing, and spelling yet again,
it was time for the paint.
|First coat going on, as it was last time it will|
need two coats as red enamel is opaque at the
best of times, let alone trying to cover a brilliant
white background. This is where I left it for
the night, I will continue in the morning.
|Next morning it didn't take long to finish applying|
the first coat of paint. You can see just how
opaque the red paint is as it tries to cover the