My latest sign is again Volkswagen based, as the majority of my signs are. I had an idea of what I was going to produce so as usual the first thing to do was cut and prepare a piece of 3mm birch ply.
|This size of this board is 30 inches wide by |
7.5 inches high. It has as usual been sanded
down to ensure a smooth surface to draw on.
|The same applied to the split screen, I thought|
it would be good to have the vans facing each
|Once I was happy with the layout, out came |
the ruler and HB pencil to get some heavy
lines down, and as usual an eraser which I
kept on using until everything looked OK.
At this stage it doesn't look much but you
have to imagine it coloured in.
|The same applied to the split screen, I cant|
Begin to tell you how many times I used the
eraser on those side windows until I was happy
they were in proportion and in the correct place.
|Not sure if you can see from this photo, but |
the buses are finished, now all I have to do is
colour them in using the Steadtler permanent
Lumocolor and Edding 300 marker pens.
This is applied directly to the sanded board.
|Shading completed on the bay, I decided to|
add the rear and side windows from the other
side of the bus. This was a pain and the eraser
got plenty of use... but I think the end result
is worth it.
|Onto the split screen, I decided I had to do the|
same with the windows as on the bay window
otherwise they wouldn't look right but again I
think it was worth the extra hour or so.
|OK, onto the wording and as usual the word|
Volkswagen was the first to go down.
|Once the 'Volkswagen' was complete the rest|
of the wording could begin. You can see how
I space the wording out to ensure they are all
the same height and central to the sign.