A short while ago at a recent Outcast VW Club meeting I got chatting to a fellow club member, Steve Cook who owns a photographic company called 'Swale Photography'.
Steve was saying that he was attending a superhero convention and that he would like a backdrop for members of the public to stand in front of while they have their photo taken. Steve asked if I could produce something to help him out, and of course I said I could. We discussed what sort of design he wanted on the backdrop and Steve said he would like to have superhero 'action words' such as, KAPOW and UGGH!. Steve asked if I could produce the backdrop with the action words around the outside so that when a person, or a couple stood in front of the backdrop, (usually in some sort of superhero costume) the action words could still be seen. We also discussed what he would like the backdrop to be made out of, and I said that I had some 3 foot x 2 foot white foam boards in stock, which would be ideal as they are lightweight and easy to transport around. Steve asked if I could produce a backdrop using 4 boards, so that the backdrop would be approximately 6 foot x 4 foot, but they would need to be separate and it would be have to be able to fix together quite easily once Steve got to the superhero venue, as he hasn't got room to transport a 6' x 4' sheet of foam board. You can check out Swale Photography face book page here: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Swale-Photography/541550572560994
|Foam board is an excellent product that I like|
to work with. It is 33" x 24", lightweight and
durable, and ideal for numerous projects such
temporary as signs.
|The first of 14 action words finished. When|
deciding what colours to use on the back drop,
I decided to keep it simple and only use 4
different colours, red, blue, green and gold.
|Remember I was talking about how I imagined|
the sounds of words would look, and I said
that 'zap' sounded a short bold word, where as
'swoosh' sounded like a long sweeping word.
|The top left hand board is finished. Spacing of|
the words on the first board is always tricky as
you have nothing to relate to, no other wording
to gauge where the words would look best,
however I'm quite pleased with the outcome.
|After several more evenings of drawing and|
painting, the top right hand board was finished.
|Both top boards placed together so I can get|
a look at what it looks like so far. I think the
words are spaced out enough to allow a person
or couple to stand in front so that the action words
should still be able to seen.
|Starting the bottom right hand board, you can|
see how opaque the acrylic is, as it goes onto
the foam board. Each word needed 2 coats,
which was very time consuming.
|The bottom right hand board finished. I think|
using just the four colours works well on this
|Again, once the 3rd board was finished and |
had dried, a quick mock up on the floor just
to see what it looks like. I'm liking it so far.
I think the different font styles suit this super-
hero backdrop perfectly, it looks as though
it could have come straight out of an early
|Pencil drawing on the last board. Once I was|
happy with the outline and position of the word
it would be time, once again to start painting.
|By drawing the words out in pencil before I|
start to paint, and as every word needed two
coats of acrylic paint it was a very time
consuming project, but still enjoyable.