Saturday 18 October 2014

Brighton Breeze 2014. Part 3 of 3.

Welcome to the 3rd and final instalment of my review of 'The Brighton Breeze 2014', a one day Volkswagen show organised by the Split Screen Van Club (S.S.V.C.). The 'Breeze' is held on Maderia Drive in Brighton, West Sussex on England's south coast on the first weekend of October. This annual show is a well attended event with exhibitors not only attending from all over the U.K. but also from mainland Europe, especially from France, Belgium and Holland. Maderia Drive is about a mile long and is for the sole use of the show. This year the attendance figures of VW's was well over 1000 vehicles, with all types of Volkswagen's, both air-cooled and water cooled attending this event. My blog review continues as I wander along the Drive looking at all the Volkswagen's parked up. If you missed the first 2 instalments on this show you can find them, and all my other blog entries in 'My Blog Archive' to the left of this page. Simply click the arrow next to a year, then click on the arrow for a particular month and this give a drop down list of all my blog entries for that month.
 
This gorgeous early split screen looked great
with it's sign written body in a lovely shade of
blue. The narrowed front beam and low stance
added to the overall look of this bus.

This 1965 Beetle in a nice pastel yellow colour
looked like a cool resto with it's low stance and
Porsche hub caps. Sometimes, as this Bug
proves you don't always need flashy paint
and expensive wheels to have a cool
looking ride.

This 1967 early bug with a lovely grey patina
paint scheme, with a narrowed front beam and
sitting so low. I did like the Porsche head light
grills and the general overall look of this Beetle.

More patina paint on this 1966 split screen.
Patina is definitely in this year and I think it
looks great. I did like the VW stamped hub
caps on the painted steel wheels on this cool
looking bus.

Dave and Angela are from my hometown of
Aylesbury, and are fellow Outcast VW Club
members. They both went to the Breeze in
their very distinctive 'Comic Relief' Beetle.
This Bug was commissioned for the 'Red
Nose Day' fund raising event

This 1965 Split screen is so over the top, it's
brilliant. The black and flames paint scheme
reminds me of my Hot Rod past. This bus even
has the red painted steel wheels with chrome
beauty rings.

A gorgeous 1968 early bay panel van finished
a mango colour. The full length roof rack and
the super low stance, along with the colour
coded bumpers made this bay stand out from
the others along the sea front.

More Outcast VW Club members to attend the
Breeze were my old mate Stuart and his son
Tim. Both are also from Aylesbury who came
down at the last minute on the day. This is
Stuarts 1970 Beetle. Stuart also owns a 1971
Bay window.

Another very low early Bug with a very RAT
looking paint scheme. That narrowed front
beam looks good as do the Porsche wheels.
This Beetle had a Paris sun roof which added
to the lovely look of this car.

OK, it's not all painted and shiny, but as I keep
saying, sometimes you don't need the paint job
that costs thousands of pounds to look good,
and this Bug proves that point.

Having said that sometimes you don't need to
spend thousands of pounds on paint, wheels
etc, I think it may be a good idea to spend a
little bit of cash and get the upholstery sorted
as that drivers seat looks so uncomfortable.

Part 3 of my Breeze review seems to be all
Beetles, but that's OK. This 1965 Bug looked
good with it's unusual body colours. I did like
those yellow head lights and the single yellow
spot light.

This early Beetle came all the way to Brighton 
via the English Channel from Belgium, as did
many more vehicles. Again, this is nothing
flash or fancy, just a nice honest, good looking 
Bug.

This lovely 1964 Beetle was awesome. Sitting
virtually on the ground with it's lovely looking
paint scheme and super narrowed front beam,
this Bug looked great. I did like the single spot
light facing sidewards and the missing horn grill.

From this angle you can see how low this Bug
sits and how narrow that front beam really is.
I did like this car, it definitely had a certain
something that appealed to me.

Kerry and Becky went down to Brighton on the
Friday night in Kerry's 1979 super clean late
bay and stayed over. Kerry and Becky are both
from my hometown and are Outcast VW Club
members. I never met the girls down at the show
due to the huge number of people that attend
this event. Unless you actually 'bump' into
someone you will never find them amongst
the huge crowds.

This gorgeous looking split screen was painted
in a dark purple base with lilac and blue flames.
The chrome tail rail bumpers and polished 5
spoke wheels add the necessary bright work.

A 1971 bay window finished in a stunning coat
of blue, with colour coded bumpers and matching
wheels. I did like the full length Paris sun roof on
this bus. This really is a nice, clean and tidy bus.

This late bay was immaculate and looked to be
totally original. The Westy interior was in the
same condition as it left the factory. The paint
and tyres were also just like new, in fact this
bay looked so clean it could have come out of
an advert for the type 2 camper van.

This lovely looking 1965 split screen belongs
Darren, a mate of mine who is from the
WGCVW club who are based in Hertfordshire.
Darren also owns a bay, and a 181 Trekker,
amongst other assorted air cooled VW's.

Another mate of mine, also from the WGCVW
club is Robert who went down in his 1983 blue
T25. The rain has just started so I think Robert
is searching for some wet weather gear.

The Brighton Breeze has numerous traders
selling everything from bumpers to baseball
capes, from tyres to t-shirts and everything
in between. One trader was selling some cool
cycles and this 1950's cycle caught my eye.

Made by 'Huffy' this Belair model was great. I
love the American 1950's styling regardless
of what the item is, maybe I was born too late.
I had to keep telling myself 'you have no where
to keep it'  to stop myself from buying this very
cool retro cycle!

This split screen (and the one next to it) had
a really cool set up with the fold away tent on
the roof. I'm not sure if this roof tent was made
by 'Air Camping' or not but it's a very similar
set up. This is a really cool sleeping solution
that you don't see everyday over here in
the U.K. which is a shame as I think they
are a great camping accessory.

My 1969 VW microbus parked up on Maderia
Drive. This photo was taken about 2.00pm and
the rain is getting heavier now, could be time to
go and get some shelter somewhere.

Stuart, Tim and I decided to go onto Brighton's
Pier to get some cover from the rain. This photo
shows how big this show really is. There were
2 lines of VW's from in front of the big wheel
right across to the edge of the photo on the right.


Around 3.30pm the rain was persistent so
Stuart, Tim and I decided to head for home as
it was showing no signs of easing. Stuart was
parked at the bottom of this hill, and as we
left he promptly ran out of fuel. He blamed
the fuel gauge as he said it was still reading a
quarter of a tank. (!) Luckily a fellow vdub
exhibitor saw what had happened and helped
out by giving Stuart some petrol.



Following Stuart out of Brighton and heading
for home, the city centre was still heaving with
VW's cruising the streets. It's a shame the rain
came but that's the risk you take by organising
a show on the sea front in October.



Thanks to Fiona from the Wolfsburg Weed
Huggers VW Club for this photo of (L to R)
Robert (AKA Bert), Pete and Darren, all
members of the Welwyn Garden City VW
Club. (WGCVW Club) The boys are proudly
showing off their Brighton Breeze Marshall t-
shirts... the things these boys will do for a
free t-shirt.!


This, and the following 7 photo's were kindly
submitted by Bert, which he must have
taken during his breaks from his marshaling
duties. A very artistic photo with the front
end of a late splitty, a Jack Russell dog
and glorious blue sky.
 
Another artistic split screen photo. It looks
as though Bert was taking photo's for a
split screen camper calender.

 
A lovely type 3 fastback in a stunning bright red.
I have to admit I don't remember seeing this car
at the show. That's why it's good to get photo's
submitted from other people, as they have probably
photographed vehicles that I missed or maybe
from a better angle.

 
Chromed domed hub caps are excellent for
getting that special photo, as Bert shows here.
Just a few of the vehicles that attended the
Breeze.

 
Another vehicle that I cannot remember
is this late split screen with the Union Jack
paint scheme with the zipper.

 
I think Bert must have been lying
down when he took this photo to show
just how low the split screen really was.

 
I think this is a photo of the campers who got
to the breeze on the Friday night and slept on
the sea front. The WGCVW Club vehicles
include the blue T25, beige T2, and the white
split screen.

 
The far end of the Breeze line up. The pier and
big wheel are way off in the distance, and the
2 lines of Volkswagen's start from in front of the
pier. The convoy of vehicles entering Maderia
Drive are still coming in.


So that was my blog review of The Brighton
Breeze 2014 organised by the S.S.V.C. To
conclude my review I have included a link
to a video of the Breeze from 2011,
http://vimeo.com/30015716

The video was shot by a guy called Rob Nixon,
I don't know this guy, but this is a video I will
never get tired of watching as it sums up the
atmosphere at the Brighton Breeze perfectly
and it even has a cool sound track. Remember
if you missed the first 2 instalments of my blog
review about the Brighton Breeze, or you just
want to read any other of my reviews on shows
and events I have attended over the last 3
years simply go to 'My Blog Archive' to the left
of this page. Thanks, and I hope you have
enjoyed reading my blog reviews.











No comments:

Post a Comment