Back in 2011 when I purchased my Microbus the headlining had a few splits in it, and as a goodwill gesture the House of Dub, the company where I purchased the bus from included a new headlining as part of the sale. I had intended to fit the headlining, but have since decided on fitting a birch ply headlining instead. Having spent a few nights away in my bus I can say that it wasn't that warm, and as I have already insulated the sides of the bus I decided to insulate the roof.
|This picture was taken just a week after buying|
my bus, and even here you can see some of
the splits in the headlining. Over the past few
years the splits have just got worse.
|Once all the felt was removed all I had to do |
then was remove all the little bits left that
were still stuck to the roof, otherwise the new
insulation would not stick properly.
|Roof all cleaned up and ready to start |
measuring the insulation panels.
|The rivets are the same pattern on both sides|
so must have been something bolted to the
roof. Looking at the outside of the roof there
is no evidence of the rivets at all... strange!
|To fix the insulation to the roof I decided on|
grab adhesive rather than glue. I also bought
some silver foil tape to seal all the joints and
edges of the insulation just to tidy it all up.
|Tools I used were: a mastic gun, sharp knife,|
scissors, pen, tape measure and a small paint
roller to ensure when the insulation was
offered up to the roof I could roll the whole panel
to ensure the grab adhesive spread out giving
more adhesion but without damaging the foil
|First section to be done was the middle part|
of the roof, just because this was the easiest
to get to.
|Half of the middle section done and it looks |
better already, it has a great reflective finish.
|Both halves of the middle roof section done|
and the wire for the interior light taped up
using the foil tape.
|I used the foil tape to seal the edges, and seal|
|This photo shows the reverse side of the |
insulation panel with the grab adhesive put on.
I bought 2 tubes of adhesive, but in reality due
to the amount I had to use on each panel I
ended up using almost 3 tubes.
|Middle section and cab section all done.|
|Again using the foil tape to seal edges and to|
fill any gaps on the cross braces on the roof.
|All 3 sections of the roof finished. The edges|
have been taped, and any gaps filled with
cut offs of insulation and again taped.
|Fitting the insulation around the 2 interior|
lights was tricky, but I took my time and made
sure it would fit before applying the adhesive.