Saturday 26 May 2012

Accelerator pedal return spring...

There have been quite a few occasions recently when I approach a junction or traffic lights I lift my foot off the accelerator pedal to push the brake and the throttle pedal does not fully return, meaning the engine is revving slightly higher than it should. No big deal, I used to just hook my foot under the pedal and lift the pedal up.

There are two reasons for this job...
No.1 fit a return spring to the pedal,
and No.2 place a seal on the pedal
connecting rod to block the hole in.

From the drivers side the hole for the
throttle connecting rod is very apparent!

I went onto the 'Just Kampers' website
and purchased a pedal hinge kit with
return spring and a accelerator pedal
rod seal, all for the sum of £15

Rubber matting removed, you can
see how big the rod hole is... everyone
who sat in the front mentioned that
they could see the road as we drove along.!

It is a cheap and simple fix, I should have
done it months ago. Floor looks
quite solid, but I'll have to red oxide
the drivers side of the floor.

A close up of the connecting rod and
aforementioned hole!

Da Dah..!! Rod seal grommet fitted, how
easy was that. No more rain water, wind
or small animals getting in.!

Pedal back in place with the new hinge kit
 and return spring. The hardest part was
once the hinge bracket bolts were through
the floor, the nuts needed tightening, I
couldn't reach with both hands so I locked
some mole grips on the nut and wedged it
underneath onto the chassis, so when I did
the bolt up from inside the mole grips held
the nut secure and in place and allowed
me to tighten the bolts.

This method is much slower than if you
had two pairs of hands, but the end result
is the same. It should mean that when I pull
 up at the lights now it doesn't sound like I'm
about to do the 1/4 mile... !

Overall I suppose it took about 2 and a half
hours.. and once the matting is back down,
it looks like it never happened. So onto the
test, I had to cruise round for about an hour,
in the sunshine just to make sure it all worked and
the throttle pedal did return and I'm pleased
to say it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment